Rapunzel’s hair was 21-metre long and had 100,000 single bands. That is something to be envied bearing in mind she used no shampoos or conditioners.
Of course Rapunzel is just a fairy tale character but still, some traditional natural haircare treatments might be much more effective than expensive professional conditioners. Here are a few methods to make your hair stronger, make it grow faster and give it a shiny look.
#1 Onion mask
• an onion,
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil,
• an aloe leaf.
1. Crush down the onion and use a sieve to separate onion water from the onion paste,
2. Get the gel from the aloe leaf,
3. Mix the aloe gel with onion water and coconut oil,
4. Apply the mixture on your wet scalp and let it sit for about an hour,
5. Rinse with warm water.
The effect: The recipe will help you prevent hair loss and baldness. Onion juice has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and fights several scalp problems.
#2 Ghee mask
• 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter)
• a tablespoon of olive oil
1. Mix both ingredients in a bowl and apply on your hair.
2. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse your hair, wash it with mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
The effect: ghee works like a natural hair conditioner for dry and frizzy hair. It also contains nutritional and antioxidant substances that prevent splitting ends.
#3 Matcha and coconut milk
• A tablespoon of matcha
• 200 ml of coconut milk
• 3-4 drops of castor oil
1. Mix matcha and coconut milk in a bowl.
2. Divide your hair into ‘bands’ and dip it in the mixture.
3. Clip your hair and leave a few drops of the oil on your hands.
4. Gently massage it onto your scalp.
5. Leave the mask there for 20 minutes, then rinse it and wash your hair with shampoo.
The effect: This treatment will make your hair soft and silky by providing it with appropriate minerals. Use the mask 2-3 times a week to stimulate hair growth.
#4 Mayonnaise and egg mask
• An egg
• 6 tablespoons of mayonnaise
• A tablespoon of honey
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl,
2. Divide your hair into 4 bands (or more, depending on how thick it is),
3. Apply the mixture upon selected parts,
4. Add a bit of the mask at the hair shaft,
5. Put your hair up in a bun tightly wrap it with food wrap,
6. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
The effect: The mask will help you strengthen your hair, revitalise and moisturise it.
#5 Avocado mask
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Grate the avocado in a bowl to get the paste,
2. Add olive oil to avocado paste and mix it well,
3. Apply the mixture all along the heir and scalp. make sure the ends get enough,
4. Put on a shower cap and let it sit for 30 minutes,
5. Wash your hair with cold water and shampoo.
The effect: Both olive oil and avocado have fantastic moisturising properties. That gives your hair a healthy shiny look. Avocado also contains biotin, a vitamin that reduces hair damage and strengthens it.
#6 Linseed mask
• A mug of water
• 2 tablespoons of linseed
1. Boil the water in a pot and add the linseed,
2. Let it simmer until the water gets thick,
3. Put the pot aside to cool it down,
4. Once the mixture gets thick, apply it on your hair and let it sit for about an hour,
5. Finally wash your hair with shampoo.
The effect: linseed contains a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids that refresh hair and make it more flexible. The mask may reduce dandruff, dermatitis and other scalp problems.
#7 Banana mask
• 1 or 2 bananas,
• 1 or 2 tablespoons of honey.
1. Mash the bananas to get the pulp,
2. Add honey and mix it with the pulp,
3. Apply the mixture upon clean and slightly wet hair,
4. Put on a shower cap and wait about 20-30 minutes,
5. Rinse the mask with water and shampoo.
The effect: Thanks to its strengthening and thickening properties the masks works best with thin or damaged hair. Banana potassium nourishes the scalp and hair follicles, protects natural hair’s resilience, prevents hair breakage and splitting ends.
#8 Coconut oil mask
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil,
• A tablespoon of aloe gel,
• 3-4 drops of lavender oil.
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl,
2. Apply the mixture all along the hair,
3. Cover your head with a towel let the mask sit for an hour,
4. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
The effect: the mask improves your hair condition, nourishes and strengthens it. It decreases hair loss and fights scalp infection.